QUILTING AS A LIFESTYLE
Karen has always been drawn to quilts and remembers sleeping under a quilt made by her grandmother which she still owns.
Her first career was in education. She taught Chemistry and Physics, worked with the Gifted and Talented program, and was a school administrator.
But the desire to create quilts was always there. In 1995, Karen purchased a book on quilt-making and has not looked back since!
She soon discovered the wonderful world of quilt shops and quilt guilds and even Internet quilting. Karen became an avid machine piecer and appliquer turning out many quilt tops each year. Some of these she quilted herself on her domestic sewing machine, and some she sent out to be quilted by a longarm quilting service.
In 2005, Karen purchased her first longarm quilting machine and a new world opened up to her. By 2006 she had quilted many of her own quilt tops and those of friends, and began quilting as a service for others.
Much to her delight, she and others she quilted for immediately began winning ribbons at quilt shows. This spurred Karen to pursue longarm quilting as a full time business. In 2007, Quilting with Karen, was born.
Karen’s Volunteer Activities include:
- Wadmalaw Island Community Center; teaches piecing to the members
- Quilt donations: Quilts of Valor, Project Linus, and other guild-sponsored groups; Karen (and her group of fellow quilters) donated hand-made quilts for each bed in a Habitat for Humanity house
- And as President of Quilters of SC, she encouraged the guild to provide quilts for critically ill children across the state. The result: QSC delivered 395 quilts to the four children’s hospitals in the state!
Karen is active in quilting groups and organizations. She appreciates the social connections of these artisans since the beginning of the quilting bee. These include:
- Cobblestone Quilters Guild in Charleston, SC, since 2005; Board Member; President; Quilt Show Chairperson.
- Quilters of SC, 2005; Board Member; President
- WV State Guild
- National Quilters Association
- American Quilters Society
- South Carolina Girls with Longarms
- International Machine Quilters Association
Karen is proud that many of her quilts have won ribbons in shows throughout the state and beyond. Her awards include:
- Cracked Pots; First Place in Individual Bed Pieced and Best Machine Quilting; 2010 Cobblestone Quilters Show,
- Southern Album; in collaboration w/ June Bohac; Best of Show; 2012 Cobblestone Quilters Show.